** Please note that the Language Rights Support Program will no longer accept funding applications as of April 1st, 2017. **
Impact studies are funded by the LRSP as part of its “Information and promotion” component.
Funding for an impact study is granted to those wishing to undertake a study on the influence of a bill, a law, or a proposed constitutional amendment, or the effect of a legal ruling concerning constitutional language rights on official language communities in Canada.
Funding available for an impact study is limited to $5000.
- You are an individual, a group or a non-profit organization
- Your application concerns one of the following rights:
- Official language rights as guaranteed by the interpretation or application of sections 16 to 23 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
- Official language rights as guaranteed by the interpretation or application of sections 93 or 133 of the Constitution Act, 1867;
- Official language rights as guaranteed by the interpretation or application of section 23 of the Manitoba Act, 1870;
- Official language rights as guaranteed by the interpretation or application of any other equivalent constitutional provision;
- The clarification of the linguistic aspect of freedom of expression guaranteed by section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms when this freedom is invoked in a matter concerning an official language minority.
For more information, here is a brief summary of constitutional language rights.
Denial of the application
Your application shall be denied if it involves only complaints, prosecutions or challenges presented:
- Under the Official Languages Act of Canada;
- In connection with appeals or with judicial review of actions or measures taken by the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages of Canada, or by the Commissioner;
- Under any provincial or territorial law concerning the protection of official language rights;
- Against provincial or territorial laws, policies or practices other than those that concern official languages;
- On the basis of sections of the Constitution of Canada other than those that concern official languages.